Bisbrooke, Rutland, LE15 9EJ

Bisbrooke, Rutland, LE15 9EJ

Date of visit: 20th May 2020

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bisbrooke was first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 then spelt “Bitlesbroch”. Over the centuries the spelling has gone through as many as 19 name changes including Bitelesbroke, Pysbroke and Butlisbroke before the present spelling was adopted. At the time of the Norman survey, about half of the land was owned by the King and the rest by Countess Judith of Fotheringhay in Northamptonshire. Following the dissolution of the monasteries in the sixteenth century, in 1547 the land was granted by King Edward VI to Sir Richard Lee who soon afterwards settled it on Anthony Andrews. The land was still in the Andrews family nearly a century later with Bisbrooke or Pisbroke as it was then spelled, being owned by Anthony’s great, grandson Edward, Sheriff of Rutland.


Location Information

Location – what3words:///poem.districts.jokers/a>
Location – UK Postcode LE15 9EJ
Location – OS Grid Ref: 488570, 299658
Location – Latitude / Longditude: 52.587524, -0.694096
Location – Northing / Westing 52°35’15.1″N 0°41’38.7″W