Deddington, Oxfordshire, OX15 0SE

Deddington, Oxfordshire, OX15 0SE

Date of visit: 16th Oct 2021


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Deddington is a civil parish and small town in Oxfordshire about 6 miles (10 km) south of Banbury.

The toponym is derived from the Old English for “place of the people of Dæda”. “Dæda” was short for Anglo-Saxon names such as Dædhēah. The toponym was spelt Dadintone around 950, Dædintun around 1050 and Dadinton in 1190. After the Norman conquest of England in 1066, William the Conqueror’s step-brother Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, held the manor of Deddington. Odo had the outer bailey of Deddington Castle built in what is now the east of the town.

Listed Status Historic England Reference 1046320 listed 05/05/1988

Phone Number (if known) 01869 338239

Location Information
Location – Northing & Westing 51°58’53.5″N, 1°19’17.5″W
Location – Plus code: 9C3WXMJH+J9
Location – what3words: race.shredding.declining
Location – Grid Reference SP 46694 31669
Location – OS X & Y: 231669, 446694
Location – Latitude & Longitude: 51.981525, -1.321538
Location – UK Postcode:OX15 0SE