Oakington, Cambridgeshire, CB24 3BB
Date of visit: 13th Oct 2021
Oakington is a small rural Anglo-Saxon village seven miles (11 km) north-west of Cambridge in Cambridgeshire in England, and belongs to the administrative district of South Cambridgeshire. Since 1985 the village has formed part of the parish of Oakington and Westwick.
Based on the finds of several hand axes in the area it is believed that there may have been a settlement in the Oakington area during the Palaeolithic era, and given the quantity of Roman pottery shards found in gardens and fields, it appears almost certain that the village was settled from the 2nd to the 4th century AD.
In 1938, an early Anglo-Saxon graveyard was discovered on what is now the Queens Way recreation ground (south east of Water Lane, and on land surrounded by fields containing visible evidence of Medieval settlement). Excavations on the site in 1993 revealed evidence of 25 burials and a cremation. In 2012 further excavation of this Anglo-Saxon cemetery led to the discovery of a woman buried with a cow.
Oakington was quite a large village in the Middle Ages with 55 residents counted in the Domesday Book and 100 by 1279. Listed as Hochinton in the Domesday Book of 1086, the name “Oakington” means “estate of a man called Hocca”.
Phone Number (if known)
Location – Northing & Westing 52°15’30.7″N, 0°03’52.5″E
Location – Plus code: 9F427357+CR
Location – what3words: hidden.likening.litigate
Location – Grid Reference TL 41011 64270
Location – OS X & Y: 264270, 541011
Location – Latitude & Longitude: 52.25853, 0.064592
Location – UK Postcode: CB24 3BB