Onibury, Shropshire, SY7 9BN
Date of visit: 24th April 2021
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Onibury is a village and civil parish on the River Onny in southern Shropshire, about 4 miles (6.4 km) northwest of the market town of Ludlow.
The toponym “Onibury” is derived from the Old English for “fortified place on the River Onny”. “Onny” means “river on whose banks ash trees grew”, from the Welsh “on” meaning ashes.
Onibury is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Aneberie. It had 15 households, making it a fairly medium-sized settlement for the time, and a priest. The manor formed part of the Saxon hundred of Culvestan.
Listed Status Historic England Reference 1269844 listed 21/06/1996
Phone Number (if known) 01584 856300
Location – Northing & Westing 52°24’29.4″N 2°48’10.9″W
Location – Plus code: 9C4VC55W+7Q
Location – what3words: convinced.starter.soups
Location – Grid Reference SO 45469 79210
Location – OS X & Y: 279210, 345469
Location – Latitude & Longitude: 52.408164, -2.803044
Location – UK Postcode:. SY7 9BN