Preston on Wye, Herefordshire, HR2 9LL

Preston on Wye, Herefordshire, HR2 9LL

Date of visit: 21st April 2021


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Preston on Wye is a village and civil parish in Herefordshire, England. It is situated near the River Wye, about 9 miles west of Hereford. Nearby places are Monnington on Wye, Lulham and Moccas.

It was a nascent town in the 13th century, its tradesmen mentioned alongside those of Bromyard, Ledbury, and Ross-on-Wye in a mandate of Henry III of November 1272 as entitled to trade in the city of Hereford “free from toll and all other exactions”. But as with other projected towns in medieval Herefordshire like Wigmore it never developed fully.

According to the Book of Llandaff a local warrior prince, Gwrfoddw, who was king of Ergyng, after a victory in battle over the Saxons granted land at Bolgros to Bishop Ufelfyw – Bolgros was said to be “on the banks of the Wye, at some distance from Mochros (now Moccas)” – in thanksgiving for the victory. Bolgros is believed to have been Preston-on-Wye, and a church was built on the site of the present church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, St Peter, St Dubricius and St Teilo.

Listed Status

Phone Number (if known)

Location Information
Location – Northing & Westing 52°04’10.0″N, 2°53’56.2″W
Location – Plus code: 9C4V3492+QC
Location – what3words: shepherdess.rental.puts
Location – Grid Reference SO 38479 41612
Location – OS X & Y: 241612, 338479
Location – Latitude & Longitude: 52.06944, -2.898925
Location – UK Postcode:. HR2 9LL