Shipton Oliffe, Gloucestershire, GL54 4JA
Date of visit: 31st Oct 2020
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The twin villages of Shipton Oliffe and Shipton Solars are situated just 7 miles (11 km) from Cheltenham. The River Coln, just a small stream at this point, flows through the village over two fords and innumerable little water splashes, creating ornamental lakes in private properties. The population of the parish at the 2011 census was 365.
The name Shipton, meaning “sheep farmstead”, indicates that sheep farming occurred here long before the Norman invasion. The Domesday Book refers to two manors, Oliffe and Solers, each with its own church. In 1871, they were united as one parish. The former rectory of St Oswald’s, Shipton Olife, is a Grade II listed Victorian baronial house, built in 1863 by Thomas Fulljames.
The Gloucestershire Way long-distance footpath passes through the village.
Listed Status Historic England Reference 1089300 listed 04/10/1989
Phone Number (if known) ex 01242 820215
Location – Northing & Westing 51° 51′ 51.4728″ N, 1° 56′ 58.1676″ W
Location – Plus code: 9C3WV372+P6
Location – what3words: cried.emulating.demoted
Location – Grid Reference SP 03575 18413
Location – OS X & Y: 218413, 403575
Location – Latitude & Longitude: 51.864287, -1.949489
Location – UK Postcode: GL54 4JA