Bibury, Gloucestershire, GL7 5NZ
Date of visit: 26th Oct 2020
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bibury is a village and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England. It is on the River Coln, a Thames tributary that rises in the same (Cotswold) District.
In the Domesday Book (1086), a record of survey done under William the Conqueror, the place is named Becheberie, and it is recorded that the lands and church in Bibury were held by St. Mary’s Priory at Worcester, from whom it passed in 1130 to the Abbey of Osney, near Oxford: the Abbey continued to hold it until its dissolution in 1540.
The village is known for its honey-coloured 17th-century stone cottages with steeply pitched roofs, which once housed weavers who supplied cloth for fulling at nearby Arlington Mill. Until the 1980s, that building also housed the museum of Arlington Mill with a collection of period clothing, before it was shifted to Barnsley House.
Listed Status Historic England Reference 1089182 listed 24/04/1990
Phone Number (if known) 01285 740307
Location – Northing & Westing 51°46’02.1″N, 1°50’60.0″W
Location – Plus code: 9C3WQ582+V2
Location – what3words: dabbling.engages.amaze
Location – Grid Reference SP 10448 07631
Location – OS X & Y: 207631, 410448
Location – Latitude & Longitude: 51.767262, -1.850004
Location – UK Postcode: GL7 5NZ