Biddulph, Staffordshire, ST8 7RY
Date of visit: 14th Sept 2020
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Biddulph is a town in Staffordshire, England, 8.5 miles (14 km) north of Stoke-on-Trent and 4.5 miles (7 km) south-east of Congleton, Cheshire.
Biddulph’s name may come from Anglo-Saxon/Old English bī dylfe = “beside the pit or quarry”. It may also stem from a corruption of the Saxon/Old English Bidulfe, meaning “wolf slayer”, and as a result the Biddulph family crest is a wolf rampant.
In the days of coal and iron, Biddulph was actually called Bradley Green, the original site of Biddulph being the area in which the parish church, Grange House, and the ruins of Biddulph Old Hall stand. It was not until 1930 that the town was marked on Ordnance Survey maps as ‘Biddulph’.
Location – what3words:///healers.paintings.display
Location – UK Postcode ST8 7RY
Location – OS Grid Ref: 389535, 359827
Location – Latitude / Longditude: 53.135498, -2.157879
Location – Northing / Westing 53°08’07.8″N 2°09’28.3″W