National Payphone Museum, K1, Worcestershire, B60 4JR
Date of visit: 12th Sept 2020
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The first standard public telephone kiosk introduced by the United Kingdom Post Office was produced in concrete in 1921 and was designated K1 (Kiosk No.1). This design was not of the same family as the familiar red telephone boxes. As of 2020, there are seven K1 boxes in existence, all of which have been listed at Grade II by Historic England, with two still located on British streets. The first is situated in Trinity Market in Kingston-upon-Hull, and the other in Bembridge High Street, Isle of Wight.
Avoncroft Museum, home of the National Telephone Kiosk Collection
If you are interested in telephone kiosks, old telephones or telephone exchanges then a trip to the National Telephone Kiosk Collection at the Avoncroft Museum in Bromsgrove is well worth a visit.
Here are the K1 boxes on show at the museum, the Green and white K1 is a Mk236 introduced in 1921, and the Red and white is a Mk 235 introduced in the same year.
Unfortunately due to restriction of Covid 19 all the kiosks were locked up and access limited, sorry for the poor images at this time.
Location – what3words:///glee.client.pulled
Location – UK Postcode B60 4JR
Location – OS Grid Ref: 395286, 268470
Location – Latitude / Longditude: 52.314319, -2.070569
Location – Northing / Westing 52°18’51.5″N 2°04’14.0″W