Saintbury, Gloucestershire, WR12 7PX
Date of visit: 29th May 2020
Saintbury was founded in the 12th century. In Kelly’s Directory of 1923, Saintbury was described as a village and parish, 3 miles south from Honeybourne station on the Great Western railway, 30 north-east from Gloucester and 3 miles west from Chipping Campden.
In 1712, Saintbury was recorded as having 54 houses with a population of 200 and in 1762 31 houses and a population of 138. As of the 2011 census, it had 151 houses and a population of 278 of which 142 were female and 136 male.
The name Saintbury is thought to come from Swain meaning villager and Bury meaning hill or Burth meaning fort, which given the village’s age and hillside location, makes perfect sense.
Location – what3words:///slides.handicaps.rungs
Location – UK Postcode WR12 7PX
Location – OS Grid Ref: 411691, 239799
Location – Latitude / Longditude: 52.056449, -1.830899
Location – Northing / Westing 52°03’23.2″N 1°49’51.2″W