Y Felinheli (Port Dinorwic) Gwynedd, LL56 4RQ
Date of visit: 18th March 2020
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Y Felinheli, formerly known in English as Port Dinorwic, is a village, community and electoral ward beside the Menai Strait between Bangor and Caernarfon in Gwynedd, northwest Wales. The population of the village was 2,284 at the 2011 Census.
Y Felinheli has its origins in two hamlets, Tafarngrisiau near St Mary’s Church and Aberpwll to the north-east where there was a mill on the Afon Heulyn. The mill was rebuilt closer to the sea in 1633 and gave its name to the settlement.
The area was largely agricultural until the area was transformed by slate quarrying in the 19th century. A new dock was built in 1828 when lime was extracted at Brynadda and slate and lime were loaded and culm (coal dust or anthracite slack) was brought in to fire the lime kilns.
Location – what3words:///spearhead.zapped.powerful
Location – UK Postcode LL56 4RQ
Location – OS Grid Ref: 252321, 367431
Location – Latitude / Longditude: 53.183417, -4.211461
Location – Northing / Westing 53°11’00.3″N 4°12’41.2″W