Newton Regis, Warwickshire, B79 0NA
Date of visit: 24th January 2020
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Newton Regis is a village and civil parish in the North Warwickshire district of Warwickshire, England. It has a population of about 700, being measured as 599 at the 2011 Census. The history of Newton Regis begins in the reign of Henry II (1154–89). Before that it was a part of the now smaller village or hamlet of Seckington. Newton Regis is not specifically mentioned in the Domesday book, but it has been suggested that 2½ hides held in 1086 in Seckington correspond to present Newton Regis. The church was once a chapel to the earlier church at Seckington, which does occur in Domesday.
In 1159 Newton appears in records for the first time, when land is recorded as granted to Geoffrey Savage. There have been many landowners down the ages, and the manor was held at times by several people at once. In the 18th and 19th centuries two landowning families, the Burdetts and the Inges owned most of Newton Regis. Their seats of power were respectively Bramcote Hall, now a ruin near Warton, and Thorpe Hall, the seat of the present Inge-Innes-Lillingstons in Thorpe Constantine.
Newton Regis has also been known as Kings Newton, and in the 18th century picturesquely as Newton-in-the-Thistles. The thistles might have been in fact teasels, used in the processing of flax for linen production.
Location – what3words:///success.amplifier.qualifier
Location – UK Postcode B79 0NA
Location – OS Grid Ref: 427711, 307399
Location – Latitude / Longditude: 52.663608, -1.591707
Location – Northing / Westing 52°39’49.0″N 1°35’30.2″W