Binton, Warwickshire, CV27 9TS

Binton, Warwickshire, CV27 9TS

Date of visit: 24th January 2020

Location Information

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The name Binton probably derives from Bina’s Ton (or town), Bina being a former Anglo-Saxon owner of the village. Binton is unusual in that it has four entries in the Domesday Book of 1086. There were four major landholders named William, Gerin, Urso and Hugh. The total value of all their property was £8 and 10s, a lot of money at the time. Adding together the figures given gives an area of 1,538 acres (6 km2), whilst the modern parish is only 1,300 acres (5 km2). This is because some of the original manor is now in Temple Grafton parish. Therefore, according to the Domesday Book, in 1086, Binton had a population of 29 families with 150 people working seven ploughs and three mills. Altogether, this is very impressive for an eleventh-century manor.

Location – what3words:///grandson.tightest.heave
Location – UK Postcode CV27 9TS
Location – OS Grid Ref: 414221, 254257
Location – Latitude / Longditude: 52.186382, -1.793405
Location – Northing / Westing 52°11’11.0″N 1°47’36.3″W